Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Dear 2014

Dear 2014,

Welcome!  Wow!  How did you get here so quickly and how did you convince 2013 that it was already your turn?  Isn't it still March or April?  I am glad that you are here.  I have some excited (and giddy) anticipation for your arrival.

I'm not much for New Year's Resolutions because if I set them, I break them.  I've never really been one for big lofty goals because I am afraid of failure and failure it will be if I try to set 12 full months worth of wonderfulness (not a word) for myself and my family.

Mostly, 2014, I am looking forward to becoming a better person one day at a time.  You'll watch me fail many days and you'll watch me succeed.  Mostly, I want to love with hopefulness and with abandon.  I haven't really loved with abandon for the past several years due to past hurts or futures fears, but this year I want to love others with hopeful abandon.  I want to enjoy life.  I want to take each day as it comes and not fret about the future and what it holds.  I want to trust blindly (when it is called for) and I want to serve selflessly.  Those are all big goals.  They will stretch me and make me feel uncomfortable, but I think they're good goals.  And even if I have a misstep every now and then, if I am aiming for excellence, then falling short and hitting great isn't too bad.  And on the days that I am really awful, then the next day will be better.

I do want to be a better wife.  Many of those things I wrote about above cover that with hope and trust and enjoyment.  I want to be a better mom and that was also covered with those ideas and dreams.  I don't want to waste my days of 2014 wishing them away or waiting for the next year or worrying about tomorrow.  I want to take each day as it is given to me and enjoy it as much as I can.  I want to let things roll off my back when they need to and I want to be intentional when it is called for.

I have an amazing husband and I want to make sure that he knows every single day that I think he is amazing.  (I may not feel like he is amazing every single day, but he is.)  I have fantastic kids who make me laugh and drive me crazy!  I want to enjoy them and laugh with them and be thankful for them even when I want to ring their necks!  I'm so blessed by my family and I don't want to take them for granted or wish their days away waiting for them to grow up.  Each day is my last of that day with them and I need to live like that.  I'll mess up.  For sure.  But I want to be able to start the next day with fresh expectancy!

I have the usual health and wellness goals.  I have come a long way in the past year with my weigh loss and on my journey to better health.  40 pounds is something to be so proud of, but I'd like to finish.  I know that health and wellness is a journey and I want to stay on that journey.  The numbers is the destination and I'd love to arrive!  I love the new health and wellness program I am on for a zillion reasons and I am excited to keep it up!  I'm excited to learn how to love eating right and to love working out.  I want to love the skin I'm in for all of the the vain reasons.  I know I'm beautify on the inside (usually), but I want to be the best me I can be on the outside, too.  Vain?  Probably.  So what.  My motives are right, so I'm not too worried about it.  I'm loving being on this journey with Andy.  Period.

I'm excited to get school behind me (almost by the end of 2014).  I'm excited for the things that await me in 2014.  I get to go to Africa with my kids this summer.  I get to learn and study.  I get to support my hubby as he travels the world and soars onto new adventures.  I get to dream about Gap Year.  I get to go on one (maybe two) fun trips with my new health and wellness company because I have earned them.  2014, I am excited for all I know you are brining me and I am thrilled and eager about the things I don't know you are bringing me.

I am eagerly hopeful and expectant, 2014.  Thank you for coming.  I welcome you with open arms and I am excited to see what you have to offer me each day for the next 365.  Whoa!  As I typed that I realized that this year will also be my last year before I turn 40.  This is going to be a big year for me!  Wow!

So, 2014, there you have it.  Welcome!  I'm glad you're here!

No comments: