Saturday, June 22, 2013

Uganda

I made it!  The trip was easy and getting to the University was fine.  It is so nice to be back in East Africa and it made me realize how much I truly love and miss Rwanda.  Our plane stopped there first and we couldn't get out and my heart was being tugged out towards the tarmac.  Next summer. . . . !

Today was our first official day (yesterday was just jet lag recovery).  I've met some really neat people and I'm excited about this new community I am now a part of.  So many people doing so many amazing things in Africa. . .I feel very out of my league.  There are two girls from Georgia living in Kenya and another girl heading to Bolivia and another heading to Saudi.  There is a guy living in a refugee camp (as a worker) in South Sudan and another living in Liberia and others from Uganda. . . they have unbelievable stories.  Some are Americans, some are Africans, some were refugees themselves. . . a few are Rwandan and they told me that I could be a Rwandan just because I love that country so much!

I changed my major.  So all of that work I did in May and June is void, but this new major (Organizational Leadership) fits better.  I also realized why the packing list mentioned ear plugs and bug spray.  There is a THUMPIN' night club next to our dorm.  I should have brought those ear plugs because my heart is vibrating inside of my body until three a.m. every night!  Also, I'm praying my malaria meds work because even with a mosquito net, I got eaten alive the first night.  Yikes!

I'm happy to be here.  I'm a tad lonely and a tad homesick, but happy to be here and get classes started.  Tomorrow I'm going to church at Watoto and I could not be more excited about that!  Then I think I'm going to raft the Nile next weekend!  What a rush!

Mom, please tell Gran'ma, Hays & Tiki about my adventures!  Thanks!  Family, I love you so much and I love you more and more each day!  I'm going to be a better person because of this amazing experience!  I can't wait!!!

Hopefully I can get pics uploaded sometime soon!

1 comment:

BEBE said...

Yippee skippee! Praying for a God ordained experience! Without mosquitoes!