Monday, December 3, 2012

BELIEVE

Believe.  What a word.  It is so big and so all-encompassing, but also so seven-lettered and normal--especially this time of year.  Believe is my favorite Christmas decoration taking front and center on my mantle.  I love that word.  I could do a whole post on why "believe" is so important this time of year (that didn't cross my mind when I started this post).  But this post is a little diviation of that.

Last night Tiki lost another tooth.  It seems like they just keep coming out and he gets so excited.  And he really is my only kid who gets that excited about both the tooth coming out and the tooth fairy.  I'm really a D- mom when it comes to the Tooth Fairy and Santa and the Easter Bunny and everything else that we moms usually dream of excelling at (I dreamed that dream, too).  Seriously.  When Tiki lost his first tooth here in America, Hays had to put a dollar under his pillow for me.  The last tooth he lost, he said that he had his tooth under his pillow for four nights and nothing was happening.  I'm a failure.  (The reason I give myself a D- instead of an F is because I have had two or three successes when it comes to the Tooth Fairy, Santa and the Easter Bunny.)

So, Tiki lost another tooth last night and I remembered to do my tooth fairy duties (thanks for reminding me, Lesley).  But it got me thinking about believing.

Tiki believes in the Tooth Fairy (even though she often lets him down).  Tiki believes in Santa even though Santa has never come to this house since he's lived here.  Tiki believes in the Easter Bunny even though the Easter Bunny has never once been to his home.  Tiki believes.  I love it.

(Side note:  I have absolutely NOTHING against the Tooth Fairy, Santa or the Easter Bunny.  I am not one of those people who have issues with them.  The Tooth Fairy was fun for the first kid and then I just burnt out.  D-.  Santa is great, but we are always in Cabo with my parents for Christmas or at my in-laws house, so I don't bother.  D-.  And I think I'm just too lazy to pull off the Easter Bunny.  I'm not sure what my problem is.  I did have big dreams of being the best Tooth Fairy and Santa and Easter Bunny. . .I've had big dreams of being the best many other things, too, and those also haven't panned out.  So, nothing against.  I'm just a D- in those areas.  There's my side note disclaimer.)

Anyway, all of that to get to the point of my post.  My mother-in-law's motto is "if you don't believe, you don't receive" when it comes to Santa and Christmas presents.  So I believe with my whole heart!  My kids don't really believe, but they believe enough like I do.  We like to talk about the Tooth Fairy and Santa and the Easter Bunny.  It's fun to talk about them.  It's fun to sort of believe. . . especially when we get stuff!  I love getting gifts!

Then I started thinking about how we usually are with God.  We always believe when we need something.  We pray when we're in a tight spot or when we're scared or when we're hurting.  We believe when we need.  Even non-Christians seem to pray in the very low times or pray before a test or whatever.  It seems like we believe when it is convenient for us. . .when we can get something out of it.  How sad!

I'm not on a soap box.  This is just what crossed my mind last night as Tiki skipped to bed with his tooth in his hand.  It was a quick five second thought and I just wanted to share it.  I needed that reminder last night, I guess.  And I'm glad that I have BELIEVE front and center in my living room this season.  I don't think I'll look at it the same this Christmas. 

Thank you to Tiki's childlike faith for giving me such a super reminder!

No comments: