Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Goodbye, Chase.

Chase finished the race early this morning.  That is how his mom put it in her Caring Bridge post.  I think it is such an appropriate way to say it.  So many times we hear people say that so and so "lost his battle with cancer" and while that is true, I think the fact that Chase crossed the finish line and finished the race is so much more hopeful and real than he lost his battle.  Yes, the cancer seems to have won but that is such a "this life" perspective because today Chase over came death and is now in Heaven with his Savior.  It hurts.  It is hard.  My heart is breaking.  However, Chase can truly rest in peace at the foot of the Lord.  Melissa said that Chase often talked about Jesus holding his hand during the last couple of weeks and how safe that made him feel.  What a hope we have!  Today we mourn and cry and hurt as we say goodbye to Chase, but I am so thankful that I have a hope for the future and for eternity so that this goodbye is also a "see you later" in the big picture.

So, see you later, Chase.  We love you!  You changed Hays's life from the first back of the classroom giggle and recess swing jump and you have continued to make a huge impact on him.  You taught him to fight hard and to never give up.  You taught him how to live life with abandon and enjoy every single day!  You taught him what true friendship is.  You have taught him what it means to be hopeful for eternity.  And through your death, you will teach him how to hurt and yet be hopeful and you will teach him what it means to mourn with those who are mourning.  Chase, you will continue to teach Hays things long into the future.  You were a fighter!  You were a great friend!  You were one who smiles at the future!  You were hysterical!  You were sincere and compassionate!  You were a wonderful friend and a gentleman!  Rest in true peace for the first time in a long time today!

Melissa, I love you.  I'm thankful that you have dear friends surrounding you today.  I wish I could be there to hug you.  Thank you for all you have taught me and will for sure continue to teach me.  You are strong and loyal and loving and you are a fighter!  You are an optimist and a servant and a giver.  You are humble and a true woman of God.  I admire you more than you could ever imagine.  I am so sorry for your loss today.  I am grieving with you and broken hearted for you.  I love you.
This song was Hays and Chase's song since first grade.  It is on my car playlist and we have been listening to it for years.  It makes me smile when I hear it and I have listened to it several times today.  It is from the movie "The Fox and the Hound."

Best of Friends
When you're the best of friends
Having so much fun together
You're not even aware, you're such a funny pair
You're the best of friends

Life's a happy game
You could clown around forever
Neither one of you sees your natural boundaries
Life's one happy game

If only the world wouldn't get in the way
If only people would just let you play
They say you're both being fools
You're breaking all the rules
They can't understand, the magic of your wonderland

When you're the best of friends
Sharing all that you discover
When that moment has past, will that friendship last?
Who can say?  There's a way!
Oh I hope. . . I hope it never ends
'Cause you're the best of friends
Super great friends!  Jackson, Sam, Chase & Hays.  Fall 2006
Hays & Chase Fall 2008
Hays & Chase Spring 2009
Hays & Chase (and Melissa) at our going away party before we moved to Colorado May 2009.  This picture makes me smile every time I see it.  They were so sad.  Sweet boys!
Hays & Chase Spring 2012
Hays & Chase last weekend.
We love you, Chase.  Words cannot describe the hurt or the feeling of loss.  There are tears and there is physical pain because you have left us.  Nothing will stop that today.  And we will continue to miss you for a long long time.  There is hope, but that doesn't cancel the hurt.  We miss you.  Goodbye, Buddy!

4 comments:

Room4More said...

Praying for Hayes and you today.

Denise said...

What a love, a life and a friendship. Praying for you all.

sabrina owens said...

i am prayer for hays and you today stay strong for eachother

Emily Stevenson said...

Oh my, what a story.. I am so sorry for this young man and his family. I found your blog through googles "next blog" and I am grateful for the opportunity to learn about this special boy and his family. My prayers will be with them.

Thank you for sharing the story of your family. Your blog is truly inspirational, and your writing style is so eloquent and relatable. I am new to blogging but have really enjoyed sharing my thoughts at www.forevertogetherfamily.blogspot.com.

Thank you for all that you do to promote togetherness and family values.

Take care,
Emily Stevenson