Friday, April 6, 2012

Heading "Home"




"A house is made of walls and beams; 
a home is built with love and dreams."
-Unknown

Sometimes I really struggle with "home."  I know that "home is where the heart is" and I know that I feel most at home with Andy and then with my kids.  So, technically, home is in Durango, Colorado (or wherever Andy and the kids happen to be).  They are my family.  They are my home.  Period.

When people ask me where I am from, I say Durango.  I don't go into my life history and get them to my answer of "Durango" by way of Missouri for 30 years (and Waco for 4).  I just say Durango.

However, it is Spring Break time and when people ask me what I am doing for Spring Break, I say, "going home."  And then I catch myself.  I'm not really going home (see paragraph one), but in my heart I feel like I am going home.  I am heading into the arms of my Mom and my Dad and my Gran'ma and many friends who love me.  Even though Durango is my home, somehow, I feel like I am headed home for Spring Break and I cannot wait!

I love my parents.  I miss them terribly.  I hate not living right next to them.  I do.  I miss them not being part of my life. . .all of my life, not just phone calls and visits every two months.  I wish I lived in a duplex with my parents. . .then I would be home all the time!  (No worries, Andy, I'm just being sappy, I won't be lobbying to move in with your in-laws any time soon!)

And my Gran'ma. . .I feel exactly the same way.  I love her so much and I hate not being in her life on a daily basis.  I hate not being able to drop by.  I hate it that my kids don't know her in the way that I do. . .as a growing up kid in her land where imagination rules.

So, I'm going home for Spring Break and I am so thankful that my journey "home" begins today!  We won't get there until Saturday, but I am on my way!  How blessed am I that I have HOME. . .my home with my husband and my kids who I wouldn't trade for anything or anyone in the world.  And my home in the hearts and arms of my parents.  I am thankful to be me!

My home is headed home and then we'll be headed back home in a week.  Life.  Kinda crazy if we think about it too much!

**********

"Home is not where you live, but where they understand you."
-Christian Morganstern

"Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to."
-John Ed Pearce

"A house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul."
-Phillip Moffitt

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own."
-H.Jackson Brown, Jr.

No comments: