Saturday, February 18, 2012

Kisses From Katie

Kisses From Katie
by Katie Davis

Oh my.  If you haven't read this book--GO!  Go now!  Come back to this blog.  Go get the book and read it!  This book is rocking my world!  (Thanks, Val, for giving it to me for my Birthday!)

ON ADOPTION:

Adoption is wonderful and beautiful and the greatest blessing I have every experienced.  Adoption is also difficult and painful.  Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption.  It is the Gospel in my living room.  And sometimes, it's just hard. . . . .

Adoption is a redemptive response to tragedy that happens in this broken world.  And every single day, it is worth it, because adoption is God's heart. . . . .

My family, adopting these children, it is not optional.  It is not my good deed for the day; it is not what I am doing to 'help out these poor kids.'  I adopt because God commands me to care for the orphans and the widows in their distress.  I adopt because Jesus says that to whom much has been given, much will be demanded (see Luke 12:48). .  . .

**********
ON INADEQUACY:

I made peace with feeling inadequate because the truth is, I was.  I stall am; we all are.  I quickly became okay with being imperfect.  Throughout the Bible, God chose seemingly inadequate people to do His work. . . . .

. . . I decided not to strive to be a perfect mother but to simply endeavor to be like she (Mary) was--completely unprepared by ready to take the child God handed her. . . . .

. . . I am a mother.  As long as God keeps giving me these precious children of His, I will continue to love them tot he best of my ability.  I will be an inadequate, uncertain, loving-with-everything-I-have, filled-with-more-joy-than-I-deserve mother.

God has a way of using inadequate people, and sometimes He calls us to reach a little higher or to stretch a little further, even when we feel we can't do any more.  We simply trust Him.  And then, He gives us everything we need to do the 'more' that He is asking of us. 

**********
LISTENING

And here is what God said to me:

It's okay to be human.  I created you, I understand.  Do not be afraid; do not be terrified.  I am the Lord your God and I will go with you wherever you go.  I will never leave or forsake you (see Deuteronomy 31:6).  Remember that my Word says you would be hard-pressed on every side, but never crushed; perplexed but not in despair, persecuted by never abandoned, discouraged by never destroyed (see II Corinthians 4:8-9).  When you try to save your own life, your own desires, you will lose.  But when you decide to put aside your desires, to lose your life for Me, you will find it (see Matthew 16:25).  Rest in My perfect peace.  Trust Me with all your heart and I will direct your path (see Proverbs 3:5-6).  Sometimes I test your faith, daughter, because it develops perseverance in you, which you need to be mature and complete, not lacking in anything (see James 1:2-4).  I know how much you hurt for these children; I hurt for them more.  In the world you will have trouble, but take heart!  I have overcome the world (see John 16:33).  Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor serving me, your Father.  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.  Continue to offer my hospitality to people in need and let me take care of the rest (see Romans 12:11-13).

3 comments:

~ko said...

Awesome! Picking it up this afternoon!

dawn said...

I am smack dab in the middle of this book and have to put it down a lot. One thing that has convicted me in my little world is "if today is the only day I am promised, how could i not play Tree Shop."

Katharine A. said...

best book I have read in a long time! She is inspiring!